Some visa immigration lawyers offer a free consultation to meet, become acquainted, and discuss ways in which their associates can assist with visa and immigration issues. The purpose of an initial visit is for you and the attorney to determine if representation makes sense, and for you to decide if this attorney is right for you.
Immigration issues are currently a topic of considerable political debate. Foreign citizens with families who are currently in the United States or are applying to come to the United States for work should consult with a proven and experienced visa immigration lawyer to understand rights and procedures.
In an initial consultation, you may ask questions to determine if you can work together while the attorney can make a judgment whether your case is actionable.
Before committing to move forward with a particular visa immigration lawyer, you should make a list of questions that should help you to establish the appropriate level of comfort to go forward.
Here are some questions you should ask:
- Does the lawyer specialize in visa and family immigration law? Many law firms include immigration law as only one part of a broader portfolio of specialties. If immigration law is not the primary focus, changing laws and accelerated enforcement may catch your attorney off guard. Knowledge and experience are the best defense, and a dedicated visa immigration lawyer understands how each situation should be managed.
- Is the lawyer a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)? Membership in AILA is an endorsement of the attorney’s commitment to immigration law and demonstrates a desire to staying abreast of new developments and best practices. Knowledge of successful practices may be more important than ever as many states, most notably Texas, are passing legislation for stricter requirements and tougher enforcement.
- Has the attorney ever been reprimanded or disciplined for dishonesty? The question is legitimate. If in the past, a lawyer was disciplined for unscrupulous behavior, you may want to look elsewhere. Overzealous or dishonest behavior has no place in the court system and can harm your case.
- How many cases has the lawyer handled that are similar to yours? What was the outcome? Experienced visa immigration lawyers or their associates have likely handled cases like yours. Asking about the lawyer’s track record is a reasonable request. Most importantly, the lawyer can describe the circumstances and the strategy used to achieve a favorable result, while explaining how the same approach could work for you.
- How long has the lawyer practiced immigration law? The adage that there is no substitute for experience is as true in immigration law as in anywhere. Knowing how immigration courts operate, understanding law enforcement, or even having gained the respect of the officials involved can put your case in a more favorable light.
- What would be the best strategy for my case? Once you have described your circumstances and shared your objectives, the visa immigration lawyer should propose a plan of action. The plan should include a timeline and defined deliverables.
- What are my chances of success? An experienced visa immigration lawyer should have an idea about whether they can help. They should be realistic and honest about solving the problem. Integrity is important since some attorneys accept cases and fees even when they believe there is no chance for success.
- How busy is the lawyer right now? Qualified immigration lawyers can be very busy and probably will be getting more so in the coming years. A too-heavy case load can mean your case will not get the level of attention you require. The best solution is not to delay the start and ask the lawyer to present a timeline for execution and completion. The logical follow-up question will be “When would you start to work on my case?”
- How much will it cost? If you choose to continue with the visa immigration lawyer and the proposed strategy, what will be the total cost? Will there be an upfront charge to start?
- Will there be a written agreement? A formal written contract is essential to ensure that both the immigration lawyer and the client are aware of the expectations and responsibilities.
Contact Davis & Associates in Dallas
Experienced, multi-lingual, and focused strictly on family and immigration law, Davis & Associates is an award winning law firm with a passion for protecting the rights of foreign born immigrants and their families. Members of the AILA and recipient of several awards for professionalism, Davis & Associates have even launched a Spanish language website to provide accurate and timely information to individuals in North Texas and elsewhere whose first language is Spanish.
Schedule a free consultation with a Davis & Associates visa immigration lawyer to discuss your case. Call today at 214-628-9888.
About Davis & Associates:
Davis & Associates is the immigration law firm of choice in North Texas including Dallas, Fort Worth, Plano, Frisco, McKinney and surrounding areas. Their attorneys provide expert legal counsel for all aspects of immigration law, including deportation defense, writs of habeas corpus and mandamus, family-sponsored immigration, employment-sponsored immigration, investment immigration, employer compliance, temporary visas for work and college, permanent residence, naturalization, consular visa processing, waivers, and appeals. Attorney Garry L. Davis is Board Certified in Immigration and Nationality Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.